Monday, November 3, 2008

Twitter

Honestly, I have never heard of Twitter before reading the assignment for this week. After reading the posts that our Professor tagged, I now have an initial understanding of Twitter although I know that for our next lab, we will create a Twitter account and will explore its tools. This means that after this Wednesday, I will gain a better understanding of Twitter.

Let me share with you my first impression of what I read about Twitter and how I feel about it at this point.

First and far most important, as always, I have many questions about Twitter. I have not and will not explore for answers to my questions because I do not want my thoughts to be satisfied, at least not for the time being. Perhaps after the lab on Wednesday, I will have a change of heart as I'm sure that I will change some parts to this post to reflect a better more informative experience that I gained about or after using Twitter.

My second point to my first impression is that only after reading the first few lines of the assigned readings, Twitter appeared to be just another social utility like facebook. I honestly do not like favebook and have closed my account as a result. I feel that since I got into the social networking era, it became a hard habit to leave and very time consuming.

Third and last point for this post. I find Twitter a social networking utility with a large potential to grow. At this stage, the company is struggling a bit with its IT staff and keeping the system running without glitches. As any and even current www company, those challenges are just part of the nature of being online. Another reason why I think that Twitter will grow in popularity is because this company has different uses that can actualy be useful and make the lives of its users easier and more convenient.

If you would like to read more on my thoughts, come back and visit after Wednesday when we complete our lab on Twitter.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Yousif!

I agree with you about the fact that one of the strengths of Twitter is that it combines different features to make the life of its users more convenient. But Molly raised a good point in her blog, she said it could be a weakness too, because Twitter is not the best at doing what it does (whatever it is) even if it tries to do a lot.

Check out her blog!
http://bohmered.blogspot.com/2008/11/twitter-all-you-need-in-internet.html

Boris Yampolsky said...

You mentioned that Twitter has a large growth potential, as well as many techies around the US.

This could be that I am a pessimist, but I do not see this mini-blog/ sms sender/ whatever else it is designed to do growing so wildly. You mentioned that it is having certain IT issues, which provides for a large lag. But I also thought about other companies and their IT staff. They would most likely block this site from their servers and firewall.

onyee4ejimuda said...

A good example of the usefulness of twitter would be the account given by our professor. She said she used twitter to communicate with friends and family to find out what is happening at home, the latest news and all. So i guess that is a benefit that would count.